With its sprawling lakes and rivers, Texas is the ultimate destination for water lovers. Whether you want to relax by a lake or get some serious fishing, Texas has something for everyone. In this blog post, we will explore the best places in Texas to live if you love spending time on the water.
The Texas Lakeside Lifestyle
If you want to live beside a lake, there’s no better place than Texas. The reason is simple: Texas has around 7,000 lakes. Lakefront homes offer stunning views, ample space for entertaining and relaxing, and plenty of opportunities for outdoor recreation. The best part? You can build your dream home right on the water.
Here are some aspects that contribute to the Texas lakeside lifestyle:
- Recreation and water activities:
- Boating and fishing: Texas lakes offer excellent opportunities for boating and fishing. Residents and visitors often enjoy activities such as sailing, water skiing, kayaking, and bass fishing.
- Swimming and water sports: Many lakeside communities have designated swimming areas, and water sports like jet skiing and wakeboarding are popular.
- Natural beauty: Lakeside living in Texas often has breathtaking views and serene surroundings. Residents can enjoy the beauty of nature, with lush landscapes, sunsets over the water, and a variety of wildlife.
- Community and events:
- Community gatherings: Lakeside communities often have a strong sense of camaraderie. Residents may come together for lakeside barbecues, picnics, and community festivals.
- Waterfront events: Some lakes host special events like boat parades, regattas, and fireworks displays, creating a vibrant social scene.
- Real estate and homes:
- Waterfront properties: Living on the lakefront is a unique aspect of the Texas Lakeside Lifestyle. Waterfront homes, with private docks and direct access to the lake, are highly sought after.
- Lake houses: Many people choose to own or rent lake houses as vacation homes, providing a retreat from the hustle and bustle of city life.
- Local cuisine and culture:
- Lakeside dining: Some lakeside communities have waterfront restaurants where residents can enjoy local cuisine with a view.
- Music and arts festivals: Texas has a rich cultural scene, and lakeside areas may host music festivals, art shows, and other cultural events.
- Escape from city life: The lakeside lifestyle in Texas provides a peaceful escape from the busy urban environment. It’s a chance to unwind and enjoy a slower pace of life.
- Seasonal activities: The Texas climate allows for year-round enjoyment of the lakeside. Summers may be filled with water activities, while fall and spring offer pleasant weather for outdoor gatherings.
- Tourist attractions: Some Texas lakes are popular tourist destinations, drawing visitors from across the state and beyond. Tourists can enjoy not only the lake activities but also explore nearby attractions.
The Appeal of Waterfront Views
Waterfront views are a coveted luxury; waterfront property is rare. If you’re looking to buy a home with an unparalleled view, there are a few things you should know about waterfront homes:
- They’re usually more expensive than similar properties without direct access to the lake or ocean.
- They often come with additional costs that can add up quickly if not budgeted for carefully.
- There may be restrictions on what you can do with your property. For example, some municipalities require homeowners with waterfront properties to keep them well-maintained so as not to detract from the aesthetics of surrounding neighborhoods.
Exclusive Homes by the Shore
The Texas Gulf Coast is known for its stunning natural beauty, and the homes here reflect that. This part covers 13,900 square miles in eastern coastal Texas. From the moment you drive up to one of these exclusive properties, you’ll know that this is a place where you can enjoy breathtaking views. The experience extends to an unparalleled lifestyle.
Here are some lakes in Texas where you can find exclusive homes for sale.
Lake Travis is one of the largest lakes in the Texas Hill Country on the Colorado River. It’s part of a chain of lakes known as the Highland Lakes, including Lake Buchanan and Inks Lake.
According to the Lakefront Group, it is a paradise for boaters because of its 57.6 miles of boatable waterways. Additionally, the water of this lake is very deep, with a maximum depth of 190 feet. It is also natural that you can easily find various water activities for entertainment here.
Prices for homes for sale at Lake Travis can vary widely based on the location, type of property, amenities, etc. They can range from $400,000 to several millions. To find the right Lake Travis homes for sale, you can rely on real estate agencies with listings specific to lake houses. They will clearly understand what you should consider when finding a lakeside property for your needs.
Lady Bird Lake
Lady Bird Lake, an expansive reservoir on the Colorado River, serves as a recreational haven for residents and visitors alike. The lakeside trails offer a perfect escape for joggers, cyclists, and nature enthusiasts. Choosing a home by Lady Bird Lake means embracing an active and outdoor-oriented lifestyle.
The real estate market around Lady Bird Lake boasts an impressive array of architectural styles, from modern condominiums to waterfront estates. Whether you want a high-rise condo or a secluded lakeside home, there’s a property to suit every taste. Many of these homes are designed with floor-to-ceiling windows, allowing residents to enjoy sunsets and the natural beauty of Lady Bird Lake.
Nestled in the heart of the Texas Hill Country, Lake Austin is a shimmering gem, offering a serene and picturesque backdrop. With its crystal-clear waters and scenic landscapes, it’s no wonder that Lake Austin homes for sale are in high demand.
The lake spans approximately 22 miles and is renowned for its inviting waters, perfect for boating, water skiing, fishing, etc. The stunning views of the surrounding hills and lush greenery create an idyllic setting.
One of the most appealing aspects of homes for sale at Lake Austin is their proximity to the vibrant city of Austin. Residents can enjoy the best of both worlds: the tranquility of lakeside living and the cultural richness that Austin is famous for.
The commute from these lakeside homes to the city is often just a short drive. This allows residents to effortlessly balance a serene lakeside retreat with the dynamic energy of Austin. In fact, the properties within the 360 Loop close to the road cost anywhere between $20 and $40 million. On the other hand, those outside the 360 Loop cost half, i.e., 10 million.
Due to its diverse ecosystem, Lake Austin has become one of the most popular destinations for boating and fishing enthusiasts. In addition, several restaurants along its shoreline and shops sell everything from jewelry pieces to clothing made by local designers.
Lake Dunlap, part of the Guadalupe River system, is just northeast of San Antonio. Known for its clear waters and natural beauty, this reservoir provides an idyllic backdrop for recreational activities. The lake’s proximity to major cities like San Antonio makes it an attractive location for those seeking a lakefront property.
Imagine waking up to the gentle lapping of waves against the shore and enjoying panoramic views of the lake. Waterfront homes along Lake Dunlap offer a rare opportunity to blend luxury living with the tranquility of nature. These properties often feature private docks, outdoor entertainment spaces, and modern amenities that make lakeside living an everyday indulgence.
Lake Dunlap also boasts an array of cottages for those seeking a more intimate and charming abode. These cozy homes often feature unique architectural details, such as wraparound porches and large windows that frame the serene lake views. Cottages provide a perfect blend of comfort and simplicity, creating an inviting atmosphere for both full-time residents and weekend getaways.
You can look for help from real estate property listing sites to find Lake Dunlap homes for sale. It also involves working with local real estate professionals and exploring the area firsthand. You can also check local real estate publications, both online and print, which may feature properties for sale around Lake Dunlap.
The Texas lakeside lifestyle has a lot to offer. We hope we’ve given you a glimpse into what it’s like to live by one of these beautiful bodies of water. From breathtaking views and luxurious homes at every price point, there is something here for everyone who loves living near water.