When the weather gets unbearably humid or when the rain drenches the streets, ants sprout wings and become flying ants. While for most people, ants are just friendly little creatures minding their own business, carpenter ant bites are a completely different scenario. Flying ants aren’t a unique species, but rather they are individuals that are known as the “reproductive” of an ant colony. The annoying little buzzers fly around in a clumsy pattern that makes most people feel uncomfortable. They are just for the time being if the house owner must make sure to apply all the techniques in order to get away from these flying ants. The good news is that staff of swarming insects are not harmful like pests yet that is no reason to let them buzz around in the house. There are different ways of getting rid of these flying ants over different areas of the house but before techniques are applied, make sure that precautions must be taken care of. Although they do not cause any problems like termites and is also controllable. But people are not very much used to it. These flying ants can cause troubles in your everyday life, it is better if you know the techniques of wiping them out of your zone. If you see a swarm of winged ants—especially if you spot them during the winter months when they are most likely breeding—there is a strong likelihood that there is a carpenter ant nest within the structure. However, you can always make use of cheap methods in order to eliminate these flying ants. Here are a bunch of materials and tools available on Amazon that can be used to eliminate this creepy crawlies.
- A Vacuum is a simple machine powered by electricity that can eliminate the problem in no time.
- Simply target the suction pipe at the swarm of ants and trap them in the vacuum bag.
- Once captured, the vacuum bag should be immediately replaced or emptied outside so that you can clean away the other mess of your house.
- This is a chemical free solution that you will find lying at home and is also reachable for you.
- Optimal for a swarm but not so convenient for lone ants flying around.
The vacuum has the capacity to lift dirt, debris, and hair from your stairs, upholstery, auto interiors, and more. It is one of the best options of getting away with the carpenter ant bite. This is one of the finest methods to eliminate flying ants out of your area.
- To catch the flies too spread out for vacuum cleaners, a spray bottle will do the job.
- Firstly, make a solution of one-part dishwashing liquid and two-part water, pour the solution in a spray bottle and shake it well.
- To kill the insects, add in a few drops of peppermint oil as well.
- Dishwashing soap makes it difficult for ants to fly and peppermint suffocates them.
- The solution that you will make as mentioned above, make sure to spray it near every possible area where you think that the flying ants are colonized.
This method is cheap and can easily be applied to kill not only ants but also other several different pests. These spray bottles have a very sharp chemical solution which is very effective for the flying ants.
Glue trap for ants
- If the ants are too sneaky to catch them, just install a simple glue track to trap them.
- Just use commercial glue if available on a sheet.
- Or place duct tape, sticky side up on kitchen counters and near window sills.
- To set the bait, drip a few drops of honey or sprinkle some sugar on the trap.
- The flies that land on the strip will get stuck, after which you can simply discard the strip.
While the aforementioned solutions are suitable after the ants have successfully invaded your home, there are a few things you can do to prevent such a mess. In order to, handle the problem before it arises, the following precautions can be taken:
For the safety, have different things applied over your area that is Glue trap, boiling water must be poured daily, caulking gun, boric acid powder and special chemical solution be made for spraying at every corner of your house.
- When there are ants flying around, there must be a source where they are thriving, find that colony.
- The colony can be under doors, switchboards, window sills and floorboards.
- After identifying the source, boil some water in a tea kettle more if you find the colony of the ants huge.
- Pour the hot water in the hole above the colony to destroy the ant population growing in there.
- Afterwards clean up the mess and close the holes to prevent future colonization.
Because of having boiling water in a tea kettle, the ants or other several different insects or pests can get extinct or wiped out from your house only if you continuously take care of it.
- Often, in our houses, there are some cracks and holes that invite pests and ants.
- Use a caulking gun to seal the holes to prevent these insects from finding a way into your home.
- Wait for the sealant to dry and you are done.
- For the sealant acrylic latex or vinyl, latex can be used based on the type of crack and environment.
- Make sure to caulk every area where you find insects or ants getting out of it.
This method is extremely useful for any individual to get rid of these pests. If you didn’t find the source of the insects coming out, make sure that you must find one before your house get a mess.
Boric Acid Powder
- After carefully sealing potential entrances of ants, you can take a little more precaution using boric acid as a deterrent for recurrence.
- Make a solution of one cup water and one table spoon boric acid and mix well.
- Shift the solution in a spray bottle and spray areas of previous colonies.
- Boric acid solution fades the scent left behind by ant colonies to deter future colonization.
- The same procedure can be used with equal composition of vinegar and water for the same effect.
This remedy may be quite risky. Make sure, it must be out of the reach from children because boric acid might be severe or hazardous in use.
- Use a deadly weapon known as a Borax powder to not only poison the visible ant swarms but to send back poison to their hidden colonies.
- Make a fatal solution of one and half cup water, half cup sugar and one and a half tablespoon Borax powder.
- Dip cotton balls in the solution and place these soaked balls around the house.
- Simply wait for the ants to consume the solution and the problem will resolve on its own.
- Ready-made products are also available in the market that uses Borax as a pesticide.
- These are a few simple remedies that can be made and used at home to get rid of all the flying ants that have invaded your home.
Liquid Dish Soap
- Liquid dish soap is often used at our houses to cleanse away the dishes which might be overcrowded with ants
- Try to clean the dishes with the proper cleaning method
- Make sure that not a single tinge of food left on the dishes
- Although it has the original scent the ants are not attracted to it.
- Also, try to clean dishes within less time so that the ants cannot get a chance to form their colony otherwise it will definitely cause problems in your kitchen.
Using liquid soap will definitely help you get rid away from flying ants because soaps have different scents and ants are not familiar with it. The soap will stick to the ant, dehydrate them and also make crucial for them to fly or move. This can only be done if they get scattered at one place in the form of a colony.
- Duct tape is adhesive in order to secure a strong bond.
- It is an excellent use for taping any damage or area.
- It has an amazing strength of durability to not allow ants to get out of their area or colony.
- It is another mean of stopping flying ants in their ways.
- You can always make use of these duct tapes if you find ants coming out of their tracks and can always try to block it.
You could lay out strips of duct tape as the sticky side for the ants. Because of using this method, the ants can easily get trapped in it. You can always make use of it for many multiple problems; it is sticky and cannot easily be removed or scratched.
- Vinegar has multiple purposes to use it at your houses or gardens.
- You can always clean carpets, stains, appliances, laundry and many more.
- You can also dilute it with water to create a gentler formula
- With the help of vinegar, the colonization of ants at a particular area or place can be deterred.
- When the solution is ready, you can spray it with the help of any plastic bottle over the specific spots.
Using vinegar as a method is effective in killing several different pests. It is reliable and not at all hectic. The vinegar is free from all kind of chemicals or dye. Spraying will not cause any kind of problem for the person doing it but it is completely harmful to the ants and other insects.
- Sugar is one of the best methods to catch and trap insects.
- If you really want to stop the colonization of flying ants and then sprinkle some sugar on the top of duct tapes
- The ants are always attracted to sugar.
- Due to the sticky surface, they will not able to move or fly, therefore got entangled with one another.
- Sprinkling any sweetener will help you get rid of ants, ready to colonize at different other places.
Applying this method takes time, but it will surely get away with your problem. Any cracks on the walls, windows must be sealed with tapes. In addition, you must sprinkle sugar in order to kill the insects. If you haven’t really found the colony, you can always try to tape every corner in order to find out if any flying ants are in the house.
- If ants are difficult to reach by vacuum, then peppermint oil is the best option.
- If you have peppermint oil on hand, add several drops to the solution that you made.
- Shake the solution well and try to spray it on every surrounding area.
- With the help of soap and peppermint oil mixture, the ants will get trap and entangled with one another.
- The main purpose of using peppermint oil is that it suffocates the ants.
It is one of the good methods that will wipe out the flying ants from your place in very less time. If spraying is done regularly, then the only matter can be resolved. It is not time-consuming but it only requires the focused concentration when using different ingredients for preparing the solution.
- It is 100% waterproof.
- It is basically used for sealing gaps or cracks between the two surfaces.
- Gaps only those which allow the entrance of flying ants and other kinds of pests.
- Latex can also be used to seal large gaps.
- It works on the window, door, kitchen, bath, gutters, and auto, marine and at many more places.
This can be done by any individual. It will not cost much but it will seal those gaps for a longer period of time. This will for a time being stops the entrance of flying ants. Bu this method is not at all expensive but it is very cheap. In order to get rid of flying ants, this method becomes a useful source for stopping the flying ants and other pests from entering the house.
- Honey is more viscous therefore it is very dense and sticky.
- When a glue tape is applied to any place in order to not allow flying ants invasion, then sugar and honey are sprinkled to trap and entangle them.
- Because honey is a sweetener and insects or ants get attracted to it.
- Due to gluten surface, the ants get trapped and become sessile-that is they are unable to move or fly
- It is one of the cheap methods of letting the flying ants extinct from your house area.
This method can only be applied if the crowd of the flying ants is not large enough. This method can be applied just for the time being. It is not at all expensive. You just need the proper place to add honey so that more pests get attracted to it.
Liquid bait traps with Borax (optional)
- This liquid bait traps with Borax can kill all common household ants.
- It contains Borax which is an occurring mineral powder, an active ingredient.
- It is very effective, can kill the queen and the colony because borax works slowly to kill, it allows the worker ant time to get back to the colony to share the bait with the other ants.
- It is efficient and kills a maximum number of ants and other kinds of pests.
- You can always make use of this liquid bait trap for indoors and outdoors.
Once it is used, it attracts ants and kills them within very less time. It is the most effective method above all the other methods mentioned. With the addition of borax, more ants are wiped out of the zone.
- It is not expensive but easy to use.
- It is one handy device that performs every other function to kill ants.
- It attracts flies, moths, mosquitoes, and other flying insects using two UV light bulbs.
- The bright lights lure the ants and trap them.
- It is a Powerful insect control.
The Bug zapper is chemical free. Insects are attracted and easily killed by the high voltage metal grids, keeping your home free of chemical sprays. You can set this bug zapper at the top of the unit or simply set it down on a solid surface. The removable plastic tray at the bottom of the unit collects dead insect and is washable to make maintenance fast and simple. The electric grid is self-cleaning.
- Insecticidal dust can be used for indoor household use.
- It is important to adjust dust in order to trap as many ants as possible.
- It can be injected into the area where the ants are nesting.
- If it is difficult to get into the area, small holes must be drilled so the dust can be injected.
- Dust stops their colonization in a specific area and thus prevents your house from any kind of pests or insects.
This is a cheap method and does not require much work. A person can always apply this method at a very initial stage in order to stop the entrance of flying ants in the house.
- Baking soda mixed with sugar can also be helpful for your kitchen to kill the ants in a safe and non-toxic manner.
- Seeing sugar crystals, the ants will be attracted to it.
- Baking soda will prove to be toxic for ants.
- It kills them when they consume the sugar and baking soda mixture.
- This will stop their further colonization into an area.
This is an efficient method of killing ants or insects. It controls the flying ant’s colonization for a time being, but it is still very effective and not at all a trouble.
- The lemon juice can be a helpful weapon to destroy these flying monsters invading your house.
- The citric acid property of lemon plays its role in keeping away these ants from your home.
- Lemon juice sprays are like room freshener; they not only freshen up your room but also keep these ants far off from your place and will stop them from invading in your house.
- It is easy to make.
- You just need two or three lemon juices mixed in water in a spray bottle and get ready to use it all over your house.
Lemon juice gives a refreshing feeling to us but it is not a savior for the ants or insects. The smell is very sharp that it offers resistance to ants from intruding into the house.
- Mint will not kill the ants but make the ants get a no entrance at your home and stop them from invading your home as well.
- You can keep mint leaves here and there especially at the outlets so that it can repel the ants and keep them at a distance from your house.
- You can use the dried up mint leaves and place in areas where you are sure to sight ants at your home.
- All cracks and holes must be filled with the dry leaves of mints or mint powder to avoid any further entrance of these flying ants in the house and to keep them away from reach.
- This will also stop the ants from nesting and building their colonies at your place of residence.
Mint leaves are a helpful hack to keep your house safe from flying ants.
When all these methods fail, call a professional. Pest treatment companies can take further measures to eliminate flying ants and the colony they came from. They will make use of special spray that may easily remove and wipe out these flying ants. It is up to you which method will work best for you. It is just a trial; it depends on which method can be applicable or effective in use. If one of these methods can easily get away with more flying ants, then only it can be a successful method. Flying ants have been common in many areas, but people are not comfortable or easy with them. These flying ants cause a lot of irritation and troubles.