Dealing With Pests in Your Home

Pests and vermin can compromise your home’s health and safety and render it unsuitable for habitation. Rats, mice, cockroaches, wasps, ants, fleas, bedbugs, dust mites, and squirrels are some examples of pests.


Any house may experience a pest or vermin issue. To lessen the likelihood of infection, adhere to these three basic rules:

don’t let them in – fill in cracks in the brickwork, the roof, and the skirting boards

don’t feed them – Keep your house tidy, particularly the kitchen surfaces

don’t make them comfy – Remove any junk or old furniture from your lawn

Obligations of the landlord

Infestations of pests or vermin may fall under your landlord’s purview if they are brought on by the circumstances of your rental property. Your landlord might need to check that your house is habitable. Check to see if you’re protected and what you can do by viewing the fact sheet “Is your house fit to live in?” under the Repairs & safety area.

When your lease begins, the furnished house you are renting from a private landlord must be habitable. If the issue existed when you first moved in, your landlord is responsible for fixing it. Check the terms of your lease. It might state that the landlord is responsible for making sure your house is “fit to live in” or “in good condition.” In this instance, your landlord ought to take care of the bugs.

If your landlord does nothing, you could choose to solve the issue on your own. Then, you might sue your landlord for damages in court.

Pest management services

The environmental health department of your council could offer a pest detection and control service. If you ship or donate the pest to the municipality, make sure it is dead and in a sealed container. The majority of councils impose fees for their pest identification and control services. For people receiving benefits or with low income, fees might be waived.

Another option is to get in touch with a company that offers pest control services. They will demand payment.

Health threat

When your house presents major health or safety risks, you can file a complaint with the council. Councils evaluate if your house contains risks that might endanger your health or the safety of your family using the Housing Health and Safety Rating System (HHSRS). Health issues can be brought on by pests and rodents.

Speak with the environmental health staff at your council. If there is a high likelihood that there is a major danger of injury, they should come over right away to assess your house. If not, you risk having to wait longer for a checkup. Your home’s hazards are graded based on how probable it is that someone will be seriously hurt by them. If the issue is severe, the council may compel your landlord to take action against the infestation.

DIY and guidance

The council or your landlord may be in charge of dealing with pests and vermin. However, if they are unable or unwilling to assist, you might be able to eliminate the infestation on your own. On its website, the British Pest Control Association offers helpful advice on how to handle pests and rodents.

Notice of eviction

If you complain about bugs to your landlord and reside in privately leased premises, they may begin eviction procedures. This type of eviction is known as “revenge” or “retaliatory.” You must consider the danger. Retaliatory evictions are somewhat protected against. See the fact sheet titled “Section 21: Restrictions” under the Possession & Eviction section for further details.