Today, everyone relies on electricity to do various things. Also, there are potential electrical hazards in any office, home, or factory. Fortunately, these safety hazards can be reduced or eliminated by being aware and taking steps to eliminate any possible danger. What is most important is you need to do this with the assistance of an electrician from ft. Myers Naples. Do you know of dangerous electrical hazards that can arise in your home? In this article, you will learn of electrical hazards that can arise in your home.
- Poor wiring
For safety purposes, you need good quality wiring that meets the safety standards. When your wiring is poor, it increases the chances of power surges, fire, and other serious results. Because of this, avoid performing any electrical wiring work by yourself and call professionals. Electrical wires that are damaged, cracked, and corroded will only increase the chance of electrical accidents. Therefore, it is advisable to call a qualified electrician from Home Mechanics to upgrade or replace any faulty or old wires.
- Pouring water on electrical fires
One electrical error is using water to put off electrical fires. Where an electrical fire occurs, do not pour water on it as it will only increase the fire which can cause electrocution. In case you are worried about electrical fires, have a fire extinguisher nearby to use instead in times of emergency. If there is none close, turn off your electrical power, leave your home and call the fire department.
- Covered electrical wires and cords
When your wires have a heavy covering it can cause the cords to overheat and this can lead to an electrical fire. Therefore, keep wires and cords from any items and keep them uncovered. Also, where you keep your electronics in your home ensure that you have adequate space for ventilation so that they do not overheat. Check your appliances often for faulty plugs, switches, and frayed cords. Ensure your hands are dry before you touch electrical appliances or switches. It is important to avoid overloading electrical boards with many appliances, such as, if you have a hairdryer plugged into the power board, unplug it before using the heater.
- Outlets close to the water
If you have outlets in kitchens, bathrooms, and other living areas with water present, you should install them in a distance far from the water source. Remember, water conducts electricity, so when you keep outlets away, they reduce the chance of electric shock. Also, while in the bath, do not use a phone, hairdryer, or radio connected to the outlet or near a pool or on a wet floor.
- Inquisitive children
Toddlers can be so inquisitive as they are keen to explore the world. Since it is best to supervise children of this age every time, when you have children or expecting them in your house, you should take measures to protect them from any electrical harm. If there are electrical outlets at their height, it is best to replace that with extra safe power points. As young children tend to put their fingers and sharp objects in the socket. Note that unprotected sockets can lead to serious injury.
Many people do not think of lightbulbs as electrical hazards. However, when light bulbs are put near flammable materials there is a potential of an electrical fire. Some of these are drapes, plastics, beds, and other items like upholstery. Therefore, ensure you always turn the light switch off as you replace a bulb as like any source of electricity it can cause electric shock. And avoid replacing a light bulb with wet hands. Plus, the light bulb that you want to use, ensure that it has the right wattage to ensure it does not overheat.
To sum up, the above are some of the dangerous electrical hazards that can arise in the home that you need to take precautions on. Another that you cannot miss out on is having wet hands as you handle electrical appliances only increases the chances of an electric shock. Also, for simple things like extension cords, you must fix them in a place to prevent tripping and avoid using your power extensions as a permanent substitute.