Throughout the year, one of the most important elements of maintaining your home is to ensure your plumbing, heating, and other systems are properly maintained. As winter vastly approaches, however, neglecting your home’s internal systems could result in disastrous and ultimately exceedingly costly consequences.
Therefore, to help see you through the winter months, here are the most important internal service systems within your property that you should always properly and thoroughly maintain.
Given that this is how you get your drinking water and bathing water, the plumbing system within your home is the most important system. Therefore, you need to ensure it is always working in full operating order.
Rarely, when pipe-works malfunction or flood, the resulting damage is not minor and usually requires extensive work, rebuilding and may even require you and your family to temporarily move out until the building work is completed.
Advantages of booking regular plumbing services and maintenance with a professional, reputable, and experienced company such as Maplewood Plumbing include:
- A noticeable increase in the water pressure
- A possible increase in the overall value of your home
- An improved level of water quality and clarity
- Longevity for your pipework and plumbing system
- A reduction in your water bills
- Boiler Servicing
Just as important as ensuring your property’s plumbing is properly maintained is the regular and thorough servicing of your boiler, especially throughout the winter months.
In addition to the plethora of other reasons why a regular, annual boiler service is crucial, it will also ensure your manufacturing warranty on the boiler is in effect. This ensures your boiler lasts for as long as possible, working to its absolute maximum potential. Additionally and, most pertinently, when not properly serviced, you and your family are in real danger of carbon monoxide poisoning.
Other benefits to boiler servicing include:
- The safety, security, and well-being of you and your family
- Reduction of energy bills
- Avoidance of boiler breakdown and malfunctions
- If you are a landlord, then annual boiler servicing is your legal obligation.
- Fireplace & Smoke Alarms
For entirely obvious reasons, regularly checking your smoke alarms throughout the home is absolutely essential. Although each brand of smoke alarm varies, there is a basic foolproof way to check your smoke alarms are functioning correctly.
- Inform your family you are about to test the alarm in order to avoid panic.
- Ask someone to stand in a position that is the furthest away from the alarm and check they can hear the sounder.
- Hold and press the button on the front of the panel until the sounder is triggered.
- If no sound emits, or the sound is weak, distant, or intermittent, you need to change the device’s batteries and test again.
It is also important to regularly check your fireplace is in full working order and to clean the interior thoroughly every month at the very least. Ensure to remove all soot, bits of coal, and other debris from the area around the fireplace.