Are you looking to teach your children gardening and the wonders of homegrown food?
Then there is no better way than growing blackberry in pots with them. They are easy to grow, they grow fast, and they taste so good.
It is a great way to educate a child about gardening practically
Benefits of Growing Blackberry in Pots
- They require minimum space. This is great for parents who don’t have a huge back yard garden or have a balcony garden. Blackberries will grow and thrive in the pots.
- They are small; hence you can easily change their place to maximize their exposure to sunlight throughout the day.
- The little blackberry pots can also be a way to decorate your small deck, balcony, or garden.
Which Blackberry Grows in Pots?
Meanwhile, all blackberry varieties can be grown in pots, but it is best since you are growing blackberry with kids if you choose ones that don’t have thrones.
How Should The Pot Be?
Blackberry branches tend to spend horizontally rather than vertically. Hence it would be best if you had a wide enough pot to hold 5 gallons of water and 6 inches deep.
How to Plant The Blackberries?
The best time to grow a blackberry is early spring. Remove the shrub of the nursery container and squeeze it gently. Then use a shovel to remove some soil and plant the shrub in the pot. Put the removed soil back in the pot. Ensure that the shrub is at the same depth as it was in the nursery.
Taking Care of Growing Blackberries
- Blackberry requires a lot of water; hence the plants need to be watered daily and a pot that can retain the water. If you feel at any point that the top layer has dried up, you should water it again
- The PH of the fertilizer should be balanced at all times. The balanced PH promotes the growth of fruits. The first fertilizer should be put on in spring and then every month. Once they are strong enough, then it is a matter of maintaining the soil of the plant. The cane of the blackberry plant will also grow over time. You can cut it to half in every winter. If your blackberry plant outgrows the pots, you can prune its shrub to plant it in other containers. Remember to do the pruning in the winter season in which they are dormant. This way, they will get no sudden shock to the growing tree, and when spring comes, it will grow more fruits.
- Pruning the blackberry is also necessary as if they give fruit on their one-year-old cane. So cut down the old ones to their ground level and tie up the new ones.
- Give them good sun exposure.
Blackberries plant will give you fruit for years if you take care of them.
The process of growing blackberry, taking care of it, and then finally enjoying the fruit will be a memorable experience for you and your child.